Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Stanley Fish Is On My Side!

I totally agree with what Mr. Fish had to say about students and their inability to use correct grammar, syntax, and sentence strucutre in their writing assignments. Me being a stickler for grammar myself, it annoys me to no end when I find myself reading a paper where there are so many grammatical errors that I lose complete focus on the original topic of the paper. Instead, I find myself making corrections in my head and not bothering to consider what the actual purpose of the assignment was. Call me shallow, but, hey, who wants to read a paper defiled with broken engligh, internet slang, and street ebonics. While the content of any essay may be just as important as the quality of the paper, bad composition takes away greatly from what could be an excellent piece of literary work.

No comments:

Post a Comment